When exploring senior living communities, it is the details that matter most. What “extras” are on your list? Is it gardening, bank services, or transportation to-and-from appointments? Is it various floor plans and amenities you don’t find elsewhere? Take some time to discover what intimate details are important to you, and find the community that has everything on your wish list.
How “Extras” Make a Senior Living Community Home
A smooth transition to your new community is an essential aspect to senior living. Making your new apartment or suite “home” is more than just hanging pictures on the wall - it’s the people, energy, and environment that make it comfortable.
Choosing a senior living community that feels natural and inviting is important. Activities, social life, and the culture are vital for everyday routine and a full life. Feeling a sense of belonging in your space – both public and private – makes a difference. Additionally, the array of health services available in the community is also something to consider. You may not need health support today, but should that change in the future, you may want the convenience of having health services in the community you choose.
Senior Living Amenities or “Extras” to Look For
Identify which amenities are must-haves on your list. Having access to senior living amenities is one thing, but the convenience and ease to use them is another. Having the amenities directly within the community you live is wonderful!
Each senior living community offers unique amenities and services. But what items on that list raise the standard? Here are nine “extras” that typically go above and beyond…
- Transportation: A chauffer transports you to-and-from appointments, scheduled outings, and shopping excursions. This “extra” will eliminate the stress of parking and traffic associated with errands. It’s a time-saver that will get you to the front door on every trip.
- Dental Clinic: For routine check-ups and those emergency visits, having the dentist in-house is a convenient benefit.
- Outdoor Spaces: Explore the beauty of nature with landscaped walkways and outdoor seating areas. This “extra” can be enjoyed all twelve months of the year. Community gardens, putting green, shuffle board, BBQ patios, and more!
- Front Desk Concierge: More than just a greeter in a seat, the front desk and professional staff is the cornerstone to a wide-variety of tasks. These individuals offer trusted advice, help, and answer questions or concerns from residents and families. Their listening ear is always available and they become an invaluable resource.
- Fitness Center: All of your indoor fitness needs under one roof. Trying a new class is easier than ever with access to an on-site fitness center.
- Dining Variety: Mix things up with the variety of dining options available. Catch up with your friends and loved ones with a cup of coffee in a quaint setting or sit down for dinner in a common dining area. Variety is the spice of life. Change up your food choices and the location you enjoy them in to keep things fresh.
- Beauty & Barber Shop: Imagine never having to worry about the weather conditions or traffic to get your hair set or trimmed. Having an on-site salon eliminates the need for a bonnet on a rainy day. The convenience of this service under one roof is one of the “extras” residents are especially appreciative of.
- Technology: Access technology in all of its glory. Whether you enjoy surfing the web, checking email or viewing a movie, the worldwide web is at your fingertips and just a click away. Stay connected to everything you choose with high speeds on the technology platform with this “speedy extra”.
- Housekeeping & Laundry Services: Wouldn’t it be nice if the laundry did itself? Take advantage of light housekeeping and upkeep for those hard to reach places.
Amenities at Walker Methodist
The amenities and programs at Walker Methodist are first class. We offer a wide variety of the “extras” so you can live fully each and every day. Revisit and revise (if necessary) your “extras” list and determine which one of our communities is the perfect match. We have ten different locations in the Twins Cities metropolitan area. Find one that helps you check off the boxes on your list!