March 14, 2020
President Trump declared a National Emergency on March 13, 2020, that mandates further restrictions in skilled nursing environments as soon as possible. Walker Methodist is also choosing to implement similar restrictions in our independent and assisted living communities as soon as possible, and no later than Monday, March 16, 2020.
While there are still no cases of COVID-19 in any of our communities, we continue to take drastic measures now to keep the virus at bay. We know this is will be a hardship for our residents and families. Resident safety and wellbeing is our primary concern, and right now, drastic measures have to be put in place to protect them.
During this time when residents are being physically separated from their families and loved ones, it becomes more important than ever that we are intentional about finding ways for families to stay connected with our residents. We are encouraging the use of Facetime via smartphones, and for those without smartphone, communities have access to iPads with video chat capabilities—and we wash these devises before and after each use to make sure we don’t spread any germs.
Restrictions to our communities include the following:
- No visitors are allowed in any community, with the exception for end-of-life situations and essential designated family caregivers.
- Vendors, agency providers, and contractors who are essential to the day-to-day operation of the business will be screened before entering. All non-essential personnel will not be allowed to enter the communities.
- Activities within communities for residents will be held in smaller groups or one-to-one, and residents will not be transported between units or floors.
- Group outings with residents are canceled.
- Visiting pets are not allowed in the buildings. Residents’ pets must be restricted to apartments and paths that lead outside.
- Admissions are still allowed, but will undergo heightened screening.
- The Dental Clinic is closed until further notice.
- All community tours are canceled.
- The Fitness Centers are closed to community and residents
- Employees will continue to be screened before they come to work. All those who are sick will be asked to stay home.
- Employees will not be allowed to travel from one community to another. Exceptions may be made if essential.
- Employee orientations will continue but will be held in non-residential areas. They will be actively screened upon entry.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this unprecedented time.