Winston Churchill said, “We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.” That quote holds a lot of truth for Walker Methodist and our 200+ volunteers. It’s truly a gift to have these individuals fortifying Walker Methodist’s Mission.
Positive and Supportive Communities
Our Staff and Volunteers at each of our communities work together to build a strong connection and network of care for our Residents and Patients. From the young to the young at heart, Walker Methodist volunteers can be 13 or 93! Volunteer involvement helps our Residents and Patients maintain those precious connections with the larger community and broadens inter-generational understanding. While Residents and Patients continually say how important these relationships are to them, the reverse is just as true from the volunteers’ point of views "Our Residents & Patients have rich histories, amazing life stories, and just the best hearts." It truly is a mutually beneficial relationship.
It Takes a Village
Walker Methodist's life enrichment programs are essential to each community’s care model and support social engagement in seniors, which is very important for our Residents and Patients. We take pride in the varied, diverse programs and events we offer. Our outings give Residents and Patients that true connection to the neighborhoods they are a part of, and promotes good stewardship to local establishments of our communities.
Some of the annual events that are made possible by our volunteers are:
- Give a Little Gift Campaign at Health Center
- The Alzheimer’s Association and The Longest Day Walk
- Walker Methodist Annual 5k/10k Run & Walk
- Sale-O-Rama Community Event
- Step Forward. Give Back. Raffle & Silent Auction
Come as You Are
Volunteers do not have to be part of a larger group or organization to make an impact at Walker Methodist. We believe each individual has the spirit and personal gifts to connect just by being present in our communities. Aside from public outings, day-to-day living at Walker Methodist is just as diverse and active as supported by life enrichment and social calendars. Some onsite volunteering opportunities can seem easy or low impact from the volunteers’ perspective, but we promise every hour makes an incredible difference in the care and compassion we offer Residents. People are encouraged to find the opportunities in volunteerism that spark their interest or natural ability like:
- Arts and Crafts – inspire, motivate, direct, and assist with ongoing projects
- Music – make that joyful sound through one of the biggest memory connections
- Pet Visits – what’s a bigger day maker than a visit from a furry, fluffy friend?
- Party Committee – Walker Methodist is big on celebrating holidays and events big and small
- Community Amenities – ice cream stands, gift shops, meal times
- Outings - restaurants, concerts, nature centers, shopping malls - we do it all!
Even the simple act of escorting Residents to church or volunteering as a Resident companion can mean the difference in an individual’s day or life.