We all were shocked and saddened when we saw the images of the residents of a nursing home stuck in deep flood water.
We are inspired to help more seniors and caregivers.
Please read this important message from our national partner, Leading Age, and give generously to support the senior living communities in Texas and beyond affected by this devastating storm.
As you know, a category 4 hurricane ripped through Texas, resulting in catastrophic damage and massive flooding in much of the coastal region in the state, including significant destruction in Houston.
Many of our member senior communities were impacted. Here is a snapshot from members in Texas:
The Buckingham, Houston
- Flooding on the 1st floor.
- 7-15 residents need to be airlifted out of the community and they are currently listed as high priority for evacuation.
- On generator power, but that is not expected to last past Wednesday.
- Supply needs: water, briefs, wipes, and food.
St. Dominic Village, Houston
- Roof leaks and water seepage from drainage.
- Staffing likely to become a problem as staff on site are becoming increasingly fatigued and relief staff have no way of getting to the community.
Our goal is to raise $1.3 million in donations.
Please consider a donation to the LeadingAge Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief Fund.
100% of all donations will go directly to members and their staff to cover a range of needs including basics supplies such as food and water as well as recovery efforts. The need is immense and is likely to worsen in the coming days.
If you would like to make a donation by check, please make it payable to:
2519 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008.
Attn: Jody Moeller
Thank you so much for your support.
Katie Smith Sloan, President and CEO
The mission of LeadingAge is to be the trusted voice for aging.
Our 6,000+ members and partners include not-for-profit organizations representing the entire field of aging services, 38 state partners, hundreds of businesses, consumer groups, foundations and research partners.
LeadingAge is also a part of the Global Ageing Network (formerly IAHSA), which spans 30 countries across the globe.LeadingAge is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt charitable organization focused on education, advocacy, and applied research.